CONNECTING PEOPLE TO PLACE
The Greenlee County Historical Society is a 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit organization incorporated in 1974 and dedicated to the study and appreciation of all aspects of history of Greenlee County through educational programs, research, preservation advocacy and the collection of historic artifacts, objects, documents, photographs and many other items related to the heritage of the county.
The mission of the Greenlee County Historical Society shall be: to collect, preserve, interpret and disseminate relevant and historically significant materials pertaining to Greenlee County and Arizona and to develop and maintain ethical, effective and efficient professional standards in carrying out these endeavors for the benefit of present and future generations.
Where We Are
Originally known as the Eagle Hall, the building currently occupied by the Greenlee County Historical Society Museum was built by Antonio and Ambrose Spezia in 1913. Its parapet is covered with elaborate cornices and the designation: Fraternal Order of the Eagles, Aerie 1690.
Much of the original form and detailing of the building, both interior and exterior, are still apparent. Through the years, it has served organizations and many businesses. The upper level was used as both a community meeting room or a dance hall. At one time, a balcony ran along the eastside of the upper floor. During parties, guests frequently went out on the balcony for fresh air or to settle disputes. At least one person was known to fall from the balcony to the ground below without sustaining injuries.
The GCHS building is now a historic landmark.